Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Weeks 9 and 10: The Conclusion

Hello all,
Since this post is so late and I won't have any time between work and going to Oshkosh this year, I've combined last week and this week into the same post.

This first picture shows the new cargo pod for the 206!  It's used for, well, cargo.  In this picture, there's a jack under it holding it to the airplane so that we can line it up and drill holes to attach it.  The new cargo pods are a huge improvement over the old metal ones!  The old pods used to weigh a couple hundred pounds, while the new ones weigh 35 pounds!


We started on the pod last week, and we hope to have it finished by the end of this week.  It will be close to finished by then, at the very least.

"The Pod" also led to much jesting around our work area.  We created our own dramatic sci-fi movie, yelling classic, timeless lines:
Captain: "Stabilize The Pod!"
Crewman: "I can't hold it!"
Crewman 2: "They're breaking through!"
Captain: "Release The Pod!"

My first task on The Pod was to modify the panels under the nose so that they would be removable after being partially covered by The Pod.  I cut them 8.75 inches from the forward end:
And attached a doubler with nut plates to connect the two pieces back to each other non-permanently:
It was a fun project because it was something I felt qualified and confident in doing by myself, freeing Paul to work on other parts of the project.

However, the next task I tackled has taken a ridiculous amount of time...

I was supposed to attach the exhaust pipe extension:            (see it just behind the nosewheel?)
It's a simple piece of stainless steel that directs the exhaust further down and away from The Pod to avoid melting it.

Here we enter the mind of poor William as he works through this task.

RED FLAG #1: "That doesn't sound too hard."
GREEN FLAG #1: "But I bet it will take a long time anyway.  I should read the directions first."
GREEN FLAG #2: "The directions say drill holes through the extension and the exhaust pipe, then just put screws in them and you're done!  Awesome."
RED FLAG #2: "Wait, hold on, there's a 'NOTE' here."
RED FLAG #3: "'Must have a snug fit.'  Hmm.  I wonder how snug..."
RED FLAG #4:  "'Modification of the exhaust pipe may be necessary.'  That doesn't sound fun."

::3 days later::

GREEN FLAG #3: "Yea verily!  The third clamp I have fashioned with mine own two hands obtaineth success!"
RED FLAG #5,336: "Oh, I heard that stainless is difficult to drill through.  Let's give it a try."

::4 hours later::

GREEN FLAG #4: "Whew.  Now there are four holes for four screws!"
RED FLAG #5,350: "That doesn't sound too hard."

Sadly, William discovered that stainless is harder than the screws he was given.  Driving them into the holes merely marred the screw threads.

There really is something fun about that process in maintenance though.  Being forced to work through problems really teaches us patience and endurance.

As this is my final post, I will include some conclusions from this summer here.

I've really been challenged by living by myself in the house I'm renting from MMS.  I'm apparently a HUGE people person, and need to be around people.  I eventually got it figured out, but it was a painful experience.  It was a good experience too.  I learned a lot about myself, and God taught me how to rely on Him more.
Working at MMS was fun and challenging!  I was stretched to the limits of what I could do with my skill level, which is always stressful.  Paul did a great job of teaching me about flying, maintenance, and how to relate to people.

While we were working one day, Paul asked,
"Will?  Did you know you would be working on a missionary plane that will be carrying sick people to hospitals in Guatemala?"
He continued on to tell me more about his organization.  He will be their only pilot, their only mechanic, and he's working right now to prepare their only airplane for service.  In case that sounds like a small task, there are no usable airstrips in the area he is going to serve.  There are a number of disused airstrips that he must find and renovate them enough to land on.
He is putting forth great effort to serve.
The other day he heard about a village.  The village heard that Paul was going to come to the area.  In response, they pooled all their money and started building a new airstrip, just so he could come to them.  The plane we're working on.  The man I'm working with.  They are so excited that he personally is coming, that they're throwing everything they have at the opportunity!  They want what he has!  What a great opportunity for Christ to work through us, through aircraft!

That story really brought purpose to my summer and energized me.

Thanks again for all your support!  You make it happen for those villagers!

God is good.
William





PS:  I found a bee thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment